Jason N. Goldman
+ The Florida Bar
+ United States District Courts: Southern and Middle Districts of Florida
+ United States Court of Federal Claims
VCARD | Click Here
Jason's Credentials & Background
Jason N. Goldman focuses his practice in commercial litigation handling complex business disputes from inception through trial and post-judgment proceedings. He has successfully litigated federal and state court jury and non-jury cases, and argued before Florida’s District Courts of Appeal. Jason is also a Florida Supreme Court Qualified Arbitrator with a diverse background in complex business dispute resolution. He also handles transactional matters including asset purchases and sales, mergers, corporate formations, drafting shareholder and operating agreements and a diverse range of contract negotiations.
In addition to litigation and transactional matters, Jason serves as outside general counsel for multiple companies that have a continuing need for legal expertise and desire easy access to a trusted, business-minded attorney, with experience in employment law, commercial litigation and transactional matters. Jason takes a collaborative approach to legal counseling, welcoming the client’s input on important decisions while structuring the process and providing advice in a manner likely to yield wise decision-making and outcomes most advantageous to each client’s specific goals.
Jason has prevailed in commercial disputes involving fraudulent and deceptive trade practices, professional negligence and liability, corporate officer liability, employment disputes, shareholder disputes, shareholder derivative litigation, easements, trade secrets, non-compete and non-solicitation agreements, fraudulent and negligent misrepresentations, contractual breaches, acquisitions, receiverships, civil theft, inverse condemnation, debtor’s and creditor’s rights, bankruptcy, and construction defects.
- Real Property and Trust Litigation. Secured a multiple eight-figure settlement for a client involved in multi-jurisdictional litigation concerning the ownership of commercial real property located throughout the United States.
- Financial Fraud. Secured an eight-figure settlement for an investor who was defrauded through an alleged Ponzi scheme.
- Healthcare Litigation, Civil RICO. Represent health care providers in litigation with insurance companies involving allegations of unlawful billing, unfair and deceptive trade practices, and Civil RICO. Secured judgment in health care provider’s favor on claim under Florida’s Civil RICO statute against imposter entity engaged in unfair competition, theft and unlawful collections activities.
- Private Whistleblower Claim. Secured more than $1 million and recovered a judgment for a minority shareholder in a company that brought to light concerning information as part of a whistleblower claim.
- Breach of Contract. Secured a $1 million award for a manager of a professional athlete whose client breached employment terms after the manager secured a profitable deal for the athlete.
- Construction Litigation. Prevailed at trial on behalf of contractor sued for allegedly failing to make improvements in accordance with a construction agreement. The contractor obtained a directed verdict at trial against the plaintiff and recovered a money judgment after the court granted the contractor’s motion to treat its affirmative defense of “set-off” as a counterclaim.
- Inverse Condemnation. Successfully litigated against CSX Transportation, the Florida Department of Transportation, and the South Florida Regional Transport Authority for inverse condemnation and to enjoin construction of a new railroad bridge over Fort Lauderdale’s New River. Following an emergency hearing for a temporary injunction, the defendants were able to relocate the proposed site of the new bridge, preventing a multi-million-dollar devaluation of the client’s commercial property.
- Non-Conforming Products. Prevailed at a federal trial for a European retailer against a Florida wholesaler over defective e-cigarettes that failed to satisfy the European Union’s (EU) mandatory standards governing the maximum amount of lead (Pb) permitted in consumer products sold in the EU. The purchase agreement falsely represented and warranted that the e-cigarettes complied with “applicable law.”
- Federal Injunctions, Tortious Interference & Trade Secrets. Procured a federal preliminary injunction against multiple individuals and entities on claims for unfair competition, misappropriation of trade secrets, civil conspiracy and tortious interference with advantageous business relationships. Recovered a consent final judgment with nearly a million dollars becoming owed to the client.
- Attorney Trust Account Litigation. Prevailed at trial on behalf of a medical provider against a personal injury attorney and the medical provider’s former patient. The attorney and the patient failed to pay the provider from the proceeds recovered in the patient’s personal injury litigation. The attorney improperly disbursed the settlement funds from his trust account to himself and to the patient without satisfying the patient’s medical bills that were owed to the medical provider. The court held both the attorney and the patient jointly and severally liable for payment to the medical provider.
- Judgment Enforcement. Prevailed in action to dissolve a writ of garnishment under Fla. Stat. § 222.12 following entry of a default judgment for approximately $400,000. In a detailed opinion, Florida’s Fourth District Court of Appeals affirmed the trial court’s order. After the Florida Supreme Court denied jurisdiction and put an end to the opponents’ appeal, the opponents turned to the Florida legislature, which ultimately repealed the statute making it easier for creditors to collect judgments in Florida. See Caproc Third Ave., LLC v. Donisi Ins., Inc., 67 So.3d 312 (Fla. 4th DCA 2011) (prevailing on the construction of Florida Statutes § 222.12).
- Corporate Dissolutions & Valuations. Prevailed at trial on the “fair market value” of a corporation that the client was required to purchase under Fla. Stat. § 607.1436. At trial, the client’s expert valued the corporation at $0 and the competing expert placed the value at $1.2 million dollars. The client won as the court entered a judgment finding the value was $0, which was far below the “liquidation value” awarded to the client.
- Federal Receiverships & Debtors’ Rights. Secured involuntary dismissal weeks before the trial of a federal action brought by an out-of-state receiver appointed to collect a domesticated foreign judgment in Florida exceeding $30 million.
- Money Lent. Recovered judgment following a jury trial for multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars for “money lent” involving a decades-long business relationship based on an agreement between private individuals for a line of credit.
- Will Contests, Undue Influence & Lack of Capacity. Prevailed at trial invalidating testamentary documents, including a will and pour-over trust, which were found to be the products of undue influence on an incapacitated elderly woman prior to her death. Recovered a final judgment awarding real property to the rightful heirs of the decedent’s estate.
- Wrongful Termination & Fair Labor Standards. Successfully litigated and ultimately favorably resolved claims brought against co-employers regarding wrongful termination, discrimination and violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Successfully litigated and ultimately favorably resolved claims brought against co-employers regarding wrongful termination, discrimination and violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Jason previously practiced law as the managing member of General Counsel Solutions, PLLC, where he expanded the scope of his outside general counsel services, and served as an advisor to the boards of directors of multiple companies in matters stemming from complex litigation and corporate restructuring to employment disputes. Prior to that, Jason handled complex business litigation at a boutique law firm in Fort Lauderdale. He successfully litigated cases involving unfair competition, partnership/shareholder disputes, fraud and tortious interference, construction litigation, and sophisticated judgment enforcement. Jason has secured numerous successful recoveries, dismissals, and defense verdicts on behalf of his clients. Before practicing law, Jason worked with Colodny Fass, one of the top insurance regulatory law firms in the country. There, he primarily focused on the regulation of the property and casualty (P&C) insurance market in Florida and assisted in the development of legislation affecting Florida’s P&C market.
Florida State University College of Law, Tallahassee, FL
Juris Doctor, May 2009
- Merit Scholarship
- Pro Bono Service Award
- Book Award, Insurance Regulatory Law
University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
Bachelor of Science, May 2006, magna cum laude
- Florida Blue Key, Leadership Honorary
University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
European History, 2005
- The Daily Business Review, “On The Rise” Award, 2023
- Lawdragon, 500 Leading Litigators in America, 2023
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers®, Best Law Firm, 2023
- University of Florida Alumni Association’s, Gator100 Honoree, 2022
- Best Lawyers in America (Best Lawyers ®), 2022
- • Super Lawyers, Top Attorneys Rising Star, 2018
Ben Gurion Society, the Jewish Federation of Broward County
- Member, 2015-2022
- Co-Chair, 2017-2018
- Horizons Leadership Series, 2015 – 2016
Greater Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce
- Leadership Fort Lauderdale, 2015-1016
Prepaid Legal Service Committee of The Florida Bar
- Appointed Member 2011-2014
Emerge Broward, a division of the Leadership Broward Foundation, 2012-20
- Moderator of Judicial Speakers Panel, Law Day – Leadership Fort Lauderdale, 2017 – 2022
- Speaker, Southern Academy of Legal Studies in Business (SALSB)